Sunday, September 27, 2015

Wrestling WITH God.

B Pentecost18 2015
September 27, 2015
Genesis 32:22-30
Mark 14:32-36

Readers: Narrator, Man, Jacob
Narrator: The same night [Jacob] got up and took his two wives, his two maids, and his eleven children, and crossed the ford of the Jabbok. He took them and sent them across the stream, and likewise everything that he had. Jacob was left alone; and a man wrestled with him until daybreak. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he struck him on the hip socket; and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said,
Man: Let me go, for the day is breaking.
Narrator: But Jacob said,
Jacob: I will not let you go, unless you bless me.
Narrator: So he said to him,
Man: What is your name?
Narrator: And he said,
Jacob: Jacob
Narrator: Then the man said,
Man: You shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with humans, and have prevailed.
Narrator: Then Jacob asked him,
Jacob: Please tell me your name.
Narrator: But he said,
Man: Why is it that you ask my name?
Narrator: And there he blessed him. So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying,
Jacob: For I have seen God face to face, and yet my life is preserved.

+          +          +
Grace to you and Peace from our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Whenever I hear someone say, “I have no regrets…”  I just have to wonder. Come on… who wouldn’t want to go back to their Jr. Hi self and whisper a few tricks and tips in his or her ear. Who doesn’t want a “do-over” every once in a while? 
Sometimes we even get tricked into believing that regrets define us.  They mark us as “the person who wishes I had raised my children differently” or “the person who should have taken that career change for meaning.”  We might get so focused on our regrets, we see them as our whole identity “wanting a better relationship with my family” or “the one who hurts people,” or “the one who makes unforgivable mistakes” or even “I am afailure.”
Jacob gets tricked like that. The one who’s name means “trickster” or more literally, “heel.” He has been a swindler, a trickster, a betrayer, a fraud… a heel.  Jacob is facing the consequences of his own actions at this moment in the sacred story when he is going home.  Last time he saw his twin brother Esau, Esau had sworn to murder him, because Jacob had stolen his birthright and his blessing from their dying father.
It’s a heart wrenching story, Jacob’s childhood, of one child being chosen over the other – and it wasn’t Jacob. Jacob – he got this name when, at birth, he came out grasping his brother’s heel.  And second to Esau he had always been, al least to their father Isaac.   Which came first, the name or the behavior?  It’s hard to tell… but Jacob had certainly acted like a heel, stealing what was not rightfully his – an elder brother’s birthright and blessing.  Though I really don’t get why two minutes older means a status change and why a father has only one blessing to give… But the sacred story tells us, Jacob, the one who was not chosen, has stolen the chosen-ness from his brother. 
And now, after having run away from his murderous brother 20 years ago, and knowing Esau is heading toward him with 400 men… Jacob is facing his past, his regrets.  This is one of those painful homecomings where the past looms larger than the now, where the landmarks take Jacob closer and closer back into an old, old story about himself.  Jacob is facing what he did to his father and his brother.  He is facing his fear of death, fear of broken relationship with Esau, maybe even broken relationship with the God who wouldn’t approve. And so he sends across the river all of his livestock and his servants and also his whole family… in order to be alone, to wrestle with the demons of his past… or, in this case, maybe in all cases, to wrestle with God. 
Jacob sends away his wives and his children and he grabs hold of the only thing left – God’s steadfast presence.  And Jacob wrestles with his taunting thoughts… He’s going to kill me.  I do this.  I did it with my Uncle Laban too – though he tricked me just as well.  But I’m the one.  I trick people.  I’m a thief and a scab.  I’m a heel! Here I am, about to be caught in the trap of my own making!  I betrayed my brother.  I deserve his wrath.  God help me! 
And God wrestles back. Here is God, coming to Jacob in the night.  Or rather, God’s already there.  God is always already there.  It’s not that God comes to Jacob, it’s that Jacob seizes God who is ready and waiting to wrestle! 
There, in the middle of the night, Jacob says, “I will not let you go!”  You have promised me, even when I wasn’t sure I believed it.  You have promised me that you would make of me this great nation, blessed to be a blessing, graced to be graceful. 
You have promised me /and I am holding you accountable to your promise, God.  With fear, mind you, because I am not worthy of it!  I am not worthy of this promise.  I don’t know why you keep promising me these good things.  Especially when I am a jerk and a trickster and I steal things from my brother and I make him so mad he wants to kill me.  I don’t deserve special treatment, your blessing, but you have promised to bless me.  And I want that blessing.  I want that grace!
All night Jacob wrestles and struggles with this promising God who will not let him go// God who says at daybreak, “What is your name?”  And I imagine Jacob has to admit it is not the name he wants.  “Heel” is not the name anyone wants.  It is not the name he wants…anymore.  And God says, no longer is your name Jacob, heel.  Now your name is Israel for you have striven with God and with men and you have prevailed. God lays hands on Jacob in this holy moment and marks him forever the man who’s struggling is WITH God, not without him: seeking God’s blessing, God’s affirmation of his value as God’s own beloved.  And belonging to God, bearing his mark.
His new name is Israel.  Here is the first time this name is spoken.  The whole people of Israel who have striven with God and humanity – and have prevailed. The descendents of Jacob/ and Abraham, his grandfather before him. 
Israel – People who are blessed, who are numerous, who cover the earth with God’s grace and promise.  The people who do not let God go.  Who do not let God’s promises go.  Who hold God accountable to God’s promises.  Who say to God, I do not deserve it, but I want those promises anyway. 
Jacob wants God’s promises.  The whole nation of Israel wants those promises.  We, who are grafted in to Israel, into the Hebrew family alongside Christ our brother.  We want to be in that promised community too. To be God’s chosen people.  To bear the name that reminds us when we’ve forgotten – that we are the people who struggle WITH God.  We accept the responsibility, the mantle, the honor… to be blessed to be a blessing, graced to be graceful. 
And so God drenches us in the waters of baptism and births us anew into this family of grace. God is the God who has created us and has given us our very breath and life, has given us the joy of relationships and laughter, God who has given us security in community.  A community that holds onto the promises, even when we’re struggling.    In this birth at the font God washes away the past that clings to us, the regrets and mistakes, the selfishness and sin.  “God delivers us from sin and death and raises us to new life in Jesus Christ.  We are united with all the baptized in the one body of Christ, anointed with the gift of the Holy Spirit and joined in God’s mission for the life of the world.”[i]
God’s mission that all might have life.  That all might know that God is a God of promises and blessings and grace.  That all might be welcomed to God through the light of Christ.  That all might bear the mark of the struggle that God struggles with us.  The mark of the cross.  The mark of this beloved and belonging relationship.  The mark of falling into Grace with God.
Amen.



[i] ELW Baptism Liturgy

No comments:

Post a Comment